Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chemical Free Grout Cleaning - DIY







Do you have tile floors? If you do, I'm sure you will love this!
My husband and I purchased our first home almost one year ago. This home was a diamond in the rough. The previous owners neglected it in many ways. By our first impression we swore it had never been cleaned. I knew I had my job cut out for me. Our bathroom was once updated and is actually one of my favorite parts of the house. We have an amazing jetted soaking tub with many sprayers in the shower. The floors however, not so pretty. I actually was very fond of the tile, but the grout gagged me. I hate using smelly chemicals like Bleach or Iron Out. I do not like my family breathing in the harsh vapors. Our bathroom is an interior room, and has very little ventilation. I was on a mission to find a natural way to clean that disgusting grout. Upon trial and error this is what I found.



I tried out a couple formulas and both of them had excellent results!


Take 1 – Baking Soda & Peroxide






Put a nice amount of baking soda into the grout lines that you will be working on.


Pour peroxide onto the grout lines filled with the baking soda.
Let the mixture of Baking Soda and Peroxide sit 10 – 15 minutes for best results. Other wise continue with next step.
Grab a cleaning scrubber or toothbrush and scrub the grout lines that have been sitting in the soda/peroxide mixture.


Be amazed!
At this time your built up dirt and grime should be dissolved and coming right out!
Make sure to rinse the floor clean after completing.

Take 2 – Baking Soda & Vinegar
Once again no specific measurements were used in this mixture.
First you will once again put a nice amount of Baking Soda into the grout lines you will be cleaning.
Pour White Vinegar onto the grout lines filled with the Baking Soda. It will become nice and bubbly.

Let the mixture of Baking Soda and White Vinegar sit 10 – 15 minutes for best results. Other wise continue with next step.
Grab a cleaning scrubber or toothbrush and scrub the grout lines that have been sitting in the soda/vinegar mixture.
At this time your built up dirt and grime should be dissolved and coming right out!
Make sure to rinse the floor clean after completing.
I did use both of these cleaning methods and I was very happy. There were no harsh smells and I knew I wasn't using any crazy chemicals that are in most heavy grout cleaning products. I found that the results were very similar of which I could not tell a difference in which technique was used.

Happy Cleaning Everyone!































5 comments:

Nathan Riley said...

I think those are great ways to clean grouts, without using any store-bought chemicals. It’s very easy and effective. Though my only concern with using vinegar is the smell afterwards. What did you do to counter that? Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. Good day!

Nathan Riley @ SteemerAtlanta

Royal Carpet Cleaning said...

Really very happy to say,your post is very interesting to read. I never stop myself to say something about it.You’re doing a great job. Keep it up. Professional cleaning in Amarillo
Professional cleaning in Canyon

Unknown said...

Vinegar is actually too acidic for grout. It can damage both the grout and surface if the tile. I have travertine tile and used vinegar and let it sit and it ate at the surface. Just thought I’d share ��

Sarah Kite said...

Great tips and awesome results!! Thanks for sharing!

bill.wood said...

The Master builders association and those paving companies that are registered with the Master builders association have a strict method of installing paving. Best paving company